An experienced Finance Director and Finance Transformation specialist working in privately owned, PE backed, VC invested and listed companies. In addition to strategic and operational responsibilities, he has experience in MBO’s, VC/PE fundraising, reorganizations and many acquisitions and disposals. As a Chartered Management Accountant with an MBA he can apply his experience and analytical skills to a wide range of business situations and sectors. For example, the turnaround of a speciality chemicals SME from5M cash burn to 5M positive in one year.
Consulting CFO, Chief Operating Officer, CFO, Change Manager, Finance Director, Business Advisor, Financial Controller, Non-exec Director,
Europe, London, NE England, NW England, SE England, SW England, East Midlands, West Midlands, East England, Scotland, Wales, Channel Islands,
Accounts preparation, Board meetings, Board reports, Business plans, Costing, Due diligence, Healthcheck visit, (HR/Payrol)l, Inventory management, Raising equity, Reorganisation, Sales & marketing, System implementation, System selection, Banking, Business Analysis, Business Process Improvement, Business Strategies, Financial Analysis, Financial Modelling, Leadership, People Management, Private Equity, Project Management, Stakeholders Management, Management Accounts, KPIs, Company Start-ups, Budgets, Executive team leadership, Financial Forecasting, Fundraising, Investor relations, Financial Planning and Analysis, Cost controls
Manufacturing, Media, Oil & Gas, Professional Services, Real Estate, Retail, Telecom (Nortel), Lifesciences, R&D, Construction, Food & Drink, High Growth, High Technology
David qualified as a Chartered Management Accountant in the U K (winning CIMA 1st prize for manufacturing paper) and then had a number of commercial Finance Director and operational roles(e.g. IT and Customer Service) over fifteen years. He then started his own accountancy/ Finance Director practice with many SME and international clients, before being headhunted as Finance Director to a privately owned/PE backed drinks business, and saw through its financial transformation, integration with its main competitor, and carve-out of part of the business due to an EU Monopolies ruling. He is an advocate of Finance Innovation, whereby as Finance Director he leads finance to be a value-creating part of the business (e.g. implementation of an industry-changing service in the drinks industry, which even now competitors have not replicated)
He is flexible and a resilient self-starter, working well either alone or as an effective team player. He is a goal-driven individual, action-orientated with a can-do attitude and a fine eye for detail.
Over the course of his career, he has:
- Business Planning – Collaborative development of plan to support the global launch of a new business for the manufacture and distribution of an innovative consumer technology product, using an omnichannel strategy.
- New business set up– established overseas operations for UK companies including planning for attribution of profits, Permanent Establishment and Transfer Pricing.
- Cash-flow – as part of an interim management role, developed short and medium term cash-flow projections to enable business to understand intensive working capital demands of long manufacturing/inventory cycle, and to fund additional working capital through combination of debt finance sources.
- Due-Diligence – (for acquirers and vendors) – supported sale and acquisition of small and medium sized businesses. Vendor side included ensuring preparation of virtual data room and presentation of relevant material and analysis.
- Business Turnaround – Review of major loss making contracts, costing and tendering processes to improve financial viability and ensure sustainable strategy. Assignment included overhead cost efficiency benchmarking and business mentoring.
- Finance transformation – Design of finance and administrative functions to align with strategic vision, creation of road map, and effective implementation.
- Exit planning – Achievement of top and bottom line growth through business life cycle to optimise valuation for business sale.
- Buy/Sell Business – acquisition and disposal of publishing and media business as portfolio manager to investment fund, and also sale of technology business for PE owners.