Finance Director – Mike is a highly skilled and resourceful Chartered Accountant, having worked in financial services for more than 20 years at large global financial institutions, domestic financial institutions, and small financial boutiques. He has experience in sales, marketing, operations, finance, client service and risk management functions, as both a leader of small specialist teams as well as large generalist teams. He has also worked in an international professional consulting practice.
Finance Director, Business Advisor, Financial Controller,
London, SE England, SW England,
Banking, Business Analysis, Business Process Improvement, Business Strategies, Change Management, Financial Analysis, Financial Modelling, Financial Restructuring, Financial Structuring, Investment Banking, Leadership, People Management, Private Equity, Project Management, Stakeholder Management
Banking, Charity, Commodities, Education, Financial Services, FMCG, Manufacturing, Media, Oil & Gas, Professional Services, Real Estate, Retail, Telecom
CA (SA), ACA, CIMA, ACT
Finance Director, Mike qualified as a Chartered Accountant in South Africa and, after completing articles at Deloitte and compulsory conscription at the local tax office, worked as a tax consultant with an international professional consulting practice. He then moved into financial services where he undertook a wide variety of roles at a number of firms in both Johannesburg and London over more than 20 years.
He is flexible and a resilient self-starter, working well either alone or as an effective team player. He is a goal-driven individual, action-orientated with a can-do attitude and a fine eye for detail.
Over the course of his career as a Finance Director, he has:
- Redressed SMEs who had been mis-sold financial derivative products.
- Mapped business processes for improved quality of workflow, remove waste, lower costs and reduce risk.
- Structured and implemented an innovative funding solution for a client’s growth ambitions.
- Prepared cash flow analyses and a restructured funding package for an underfunded Oil + Gas operator.
- Built a detailed financial model to undertake dynamic sensitivity analyses of cash flow projections.
- Prepared Information Memorandums to invite lenders to participate in syndicated and club loans.
- Developed and tested business continuity plans to ensure no interruption of operations and service to customers.
- Installed a Process Management System measuring workflow performance and monitoring KPIs.
- Merged 2 large back office teams and transformed business model, organisational structure and corporate culture to improve service delivery to customers and increase staff morale
- Worked as the treasurer of a charity.
- Managed interest rate risk in a multi-billion real estate portfolio.
- Created shared service capability to centralise clients’ reference data, with quality control and regular refresh paramount.
- Project managed a number of financial transactions to successful implementation.
Mike is married with 3 teenage children. In his spare time, he enjoys playing golf, cycling sportives, watching Formula 1 and learning German. He is also the Finance Governor at a local secondary academy.