Highly experienced and commercially astute Finance Director providing strategic business and financial support to SME’s/Start-Ups and business owners.
Sector experience includes technology, media, advertising, professional services, charities, import and distribution and manufacturing businesses in the SME sector.
Extensive cash and working capital management knowledge as well in-depth understanding of customer and project reporting with emphasis on profitability and KPI’s. A resourceful accountant delivering practical business solutions to drive bottom-line performance in ever-changing environments.
A collaborative, trustworthy and open style of leadership engaging with financial, commercial and other stakeholders to deliver company objectives. An ability to deliver objective reasoning to business critical challenges.
Finance Director, Tony Williams is a resourceful Chartered Accountant with significant planning and management experience gained in a number of diverse organisations. He has a track record of delivering practical solutions in ever-changing commercial and not-for-profit environments, and motivating staff by example.
Tony’s key achievements as a Finance Director include:
- Prepared strategic 5-year financial plan as part of a valuation of the business ahead of a proposed share sale
- Designed and implemented excel Budgeting & Forecasting model to support Sales & Marketing Director. The model is business and customer focussed and calculates KPI’s by customer, product, margins and volumes. It is also fully integrated with monthly profit, balance sheet and cash forecasting processes.
- Strategic role in readying the business for the successful sale of a significant stake to a plc investor
- Project managed the implementation of new accounting and ERP package (Paprika) and introduced relevant KPI’s into the business
- Conducted an independent review of the use of the Paprika accounting system to assist the new CFO to get more reporting and efficiency from the system. Report presented to Beechbrook Capital
- Phase 2 project to implement recommendations of review: commission system reports, devise training material and train users
- Specified, planned and implemented Microsoft Navision for Accounts, Sales Order and Warehouse functions. The business benefited from tighter internal controls, streamlined processes, improved management reporting and tighter cost control.
- Undertook a comprehensive review of the business in order to stabilise the cash position and prepare the company for sustainable growth
With a broad base of skills and sector experience, Tony can provide top level support to SMEs across the Bedfordshire region.
Advertising agency – This client is an up market UK-based creative agency that provides key support to some of the most ambitious businesses in the country.
The business was suffering a cash flow crisis due to late payment by its largest client, inefficient accounting processes to match the nature of the business and worryingly, it feared that due to all of its challenges, it would not have sufficient money to pay the wages.
To worsen the situation, its turnover from the previous year had shrunk and costs were rising, as management had built up infrastructure for a larger business, so this was also a concern in the long run. It still had a steady inflow of contracts but profitability and cash flow were the major, immediate threat to the future of the business, and had to be dealt with as a matter of urgency.
See Full Case Study