A ‘portfolio’ Financial Director and Controller who enjoys working in entrepreneurial environments. Understands SME finance and accounting from ground up. Adept at developing internal reporting to help companies use their financial data. Accustomed to owning the relationships with banks, external accountants, auditors and other third parties. Comfortable managing the financial team or using a breadth of management experience beyond the finance function.
Project Manager, Finance Director, Business Advisor, Financial Controller,
Home Counties, London, SE England,
Financial management, Managing Professionals, Value Creation, Business Growth,
Environmental, Leisure, Retail, Professional Services, Pharmaceuticals, Bio-Tech
Over the course of his career, he has been active with:
- As Financial Controller at Sonic Distribution managed a £5m cash cycle in sterling, dollar and yuan, including invoice factoring and inventory ‘import’ loans.
- As Director of Ski Cuisine Ltd created independently financed special purpose vehicles for expansion projects, financed using bank loans and private investors to fund 4 new ventures, £3m t/o.
- As Project Manager at Sureau Ltd, managed architects, surveyors, structural engineers and contractors evolving a 20,000 sq ft commercial property opportunity.
- As Financial Controller at Sonic Distribution managed the key relationship with HSBC to safeguard liquidity.
- As a consultant at Rempliski SARL, changed a loss making retail business into a secure investment with regular rental and commission incomes.
- As a Project Manager at Sureau Ltd negotiated a planning application for change of use to give greatest uplift in property value without requiring planning appeals or refusals.
- As a Director of Ski Cuisine Ltd a leisure sector ‘start up’, between 1995 and 2004 delivered a client led expansion strategy in a niche market. £0 to £3m t/o
- As the UK Project Manager for Knowaste LLP a US recycling technology, matched the key strengths of the recycling technology with the unique UK market to create a strong business model.
- As Finance Director at Carus Animal Health a £4m t/o Research Group, designed and managed a monthly reporting process for 5 subsidiary entities in 3 currencies, alongside consolidated group level reports for board decision making with additional output for Japanese parent.
- As Financial Controller at Nodthera Ltd a £20m t/o Pharma Research Vehicle rebuilt the accounting structure to enable a flexible monthly reporting process, capable of reporting vertically or horizontally and accurately managing research expenditure which increased 10 fold over 18 months.
Selection and application of financial software
- As Financial Controller at Domainex Ltd a £7m t/o Contract Research Organisation, identified solutions and led the implementation of two new cloud based software systems (Xero and WorkflowMax) to replace traditional server and manual spreadsheet reporting and enabled the company to continue with no drop in turnover when remote working was necessary for COVID 19 response.
- As Financial Controller at Sonic Distribution, a £5m t/o electronics wholesaler, managed the finance side of rightsizing from Microsoft Dynamics to SAP Business One, enabling visibility of orders from placement through dispatch and payment. Usage of a common system allowed job flexibility and enabled a 10% reduction in payroll headcount.
- As Financial Controller at Domainex a £7m t/o project based research organisation, engaged with the operational and research teams to roll out the WorkflowMax project management software, enabling managers to create financial reports specific to their projects and teams. The increased visibility has stimulated a focus beyond the scientific deliverables onto the profitability of individual projects.
- As Business Consultant to Springboard a £6m t/o data company with a B2B SAAS model, assisted with the integration of software between the sales and finance functions simplifying order tracking and improving both response time to customer queries and credit control.
Business Case Analysis
- As a Financial Director at Carus Animal Health a £4m t/o Veterinary Research Group, analysed and presented external and internal investment opportunities based on NPV and portfolio comparison criteria.
- As a Business Consultant at Rempliski SARL a €1m t/o fuel retailer, analysed investment possibilities using a risk against return model and implemented the preferred solution, simplifying the business, mitigating seasonal variation and converting annual losses into a 10% profit.