An experienced Senior Finance Professional- Simon Finbery ACA has worked in both a listed company environment and smaller organisations in Director of Finance roles and other leadership positions. In addition, to strategic and operational responsibilities, he has extensive experience in change management, restructuring and business planning.
As a Chartered Accountant and highly experienced finance professional he can apply his experience and analytical skills to a wide range of business situations and sectors. Management experience includes both Finance and wider business functions.
Simon qualified as a Chartered Accountant in the United Kingdom and after completing five years in practice, worked in a number of senior finance and Director of Finance roles within the financial services industry. More recently Simon has worked in Professional services and the higher education sector. He is especially experienced in developing strong financial and business controls and processes, business partnering, cash flow forecasting, business plans, risk policies and procedures, whilst developing team members to take on more responsibility and grow their skills. Simon has experience both in a large corporate environment and in a smaller business setting.
Simon is a strong relationship builder both internally and externally.
Simon is adaptable, working well either alone or as an effective team player. He is a highly conscientious and personable individual with a can-do attitude and an ability to always see the big picture, whilst also having a strong grasp for detail. Simon has a natural interest and enthusiasm to see a job through to a successful conclusion
Over the course of his career, he has:
- Business Planning – developed business plans to decide on whether and when to sell business segments and assets, and to determine the best strategic and tactical approach to business Operations. This helped maximise returns to stakeholders
- Cash-flow –developed short and medium term cash-flow projections to enable business to understand in detail cash flow requirements. This determined policy for returning capital to stakeholders and wider treasury policy
- Stakeholder Management– Provided insightful Management Information, Business Forecasts and ad hoc analyses explanations to key stakeholders, ensuring their continued support to the overall business plan
- Due-Diligence – supported sale of medium sized businesses and business segments from a group of companies ensuring full financial and risk analysis. Also has experience of pricing business and asset acquisitions
- Finance Transformation– Designed finance and administrative functions to align with evolving strategic requirements including structural reorganisations. Ensured the right people were recruited and retained by providing effective leadership. Develop meaningful and timely Management Information and KPIs
- People Development– Developed numerous team members to develop their skills and experience, leading to many internal promotions and successful move to more senior external roles
- Tax and VAT Management– Managed relationship with HMRC including commercial discussions and successful resolution of some high value bespoke matters
- Dispute Resolution– Extensive experience working with lawyers and other advisors on legal disputes including preparation of witness statements and forensic evidence
- System Implementation- Led Finance input on cross functional team to successfully implement core system changes
- Business Continuity Planning– Was company chair of Business Continuity Planning Strategy ensuring robust, workable plans were in place
- Leadership and General Management- Was company chair of Information Security Group and Health and Safety Committee. Worked closely with HR team on specific HR matters, and cultural development. Also led teams from Operations, Property and Facilities
- Risk Management- Developed, implemented and managed Financial, Operational, Strategic and regulatory risk policies and procedures including risk heat maps and risk matrices
- Raising Finance– raised a line of car fleet funding for a group of Companies ring fenced from its general business funding arrangements
- Relationship Management- Maintained strong, effective relationships with stakeholders, advisors, auditors, lawyers, insurers and other advisors, together with colleagues
Significant cost savings and maximised cash collection for financial services company
The company was seeking to maximise cash collection from its loan portfolio, whilst also making significant cost savings.
The aims were to maximise net cash flow whilst keeping the investors fully supportive of the business and maintain adequate working capital in the business.
The challenge was to rebuild the confidence of the investors in the business through providing transparent and reliable business plans, forecast and management reporting, and to then execute the business plan to achieve a performance in line or better than plan.
A specific area of uncertainty was that cash into the business was difficult to accurately predict and needed detailed modelling, whilst the cost base was in turn highly dependent on the cash being generated, and the ability to carefully manage down an element of fixed cost. The cost base largely consisted of staff, property and IT costs.
A key part of the challenge was to determine the appropriate time for selling parts of the loan portfolio, and to determine an acceptable sales price. Another key question was determining the most effective way to maximise cash collections on parts of the portfolio that were not sold.
The main KPIs were net cash generated, and cash returned to the investors, together with cash to cost ratios.