An experienced “commercial” Finance Director working across a range of industries and size of companies from multinational to start ups. In addition to strategic and operational roles, he has completed numerous corporate transactions including acquisition, disposal, asset sales and purchases, listing onto AIM, fund raising, cost reduction, restructuring and coaching of senior staff in setting objectives for themselves and their business.
Consulting CFO, Chief Operating Officer, CFO, Finance Director, Business Advisor,
London, SE England, East Midlands, East England,
Financial and commercial management, strategy formulation and execution, cost reduction, business development, fund raising, acquisitions, disposals, corporate governance and change management, Accounts preparation, Board meetings, Board reports, Bookkeeping, Budgets, Business plans, Costing, Dispute resolution, Due diligence, Healthcheck visit, HR/Payroll, Inventory management, Raising equity, Reorganisation, Sales & marketing, System implementation, System selection, Treasury, Banking, Business Analysis, Business Process Improvement, Business Strategies, Financial Analysis, Financial Modelling, Financial Restructuring, Financial Structuring, Investment Banking, Leadership, People Management, Private Equity, Project Management, Stakeholders Management, Management Accounts, KPIs, Company Start-ups, Budgets, Executive team leadership, Financial Forecasting, Financial Coaching and Training, Dispute resolution, SMEs
Digital, Technology, Communications, IT, Financial Services
Charles qualified with pwc in London and worked across general practice, forensic accounting and training, before moving into industry with a large logistics multinational. He became finance director of a significant part of the UK business before moving onto to work with the global change management group. He left this group after 7 years in 2000 to work in technology companies at the early stages of their development including listings on Ofex and AIM.
At various times he has operated as CEO, COO, CFO, FD and general helper. He has raised in excess of £15m from a variety of investors and funding sources, identified and completed numerous acquisitions and disposals and been at the forefront of setting the strategic agenda for the businesses he has been involved with. In 2017 he sold his last business and started working with multiple clients on a part time basis including one start up.
He is a team player and self-starter, quickly identifying goals with a can-do attitude.
Over the course of his career, he has:
- Run and grown businesses – achieved significant growth of business ideas and concepts converting these into income streams with an eye on recurring revenue opportunities. Organic growth supplemented by acquisition or outsourcing to infill skills missing from the business. Roles have included CEO, COO, CFO and FD.
- New business set up– set up businesses from scratch; created business plans, sourced finance, staff, offices, equipment and so on to create an infrastructure and set objectives.
- Due diligence – whether this has been for fund raising, listing on AIM, acquisition or disposal, he has completed all these tasks and negotiated contracts surrounding this activity.
- Fund raising – supported sale and acquisition of small and medium sized businesses, raised equity and debt finance including bank loans, asset finance and invoice discounting facilities to aid cash flow management and growth.
- Exit planning – along with co-director led the exit from Media 5 Solutions to an overseas buyer via an asset sale and earn out.
- Buy/Sell Business – acquisition and disposal of creative agencies, maintenance and installation, assembly, logistics, digital technology and customer volume to aid growth and breadth of offer to customers
- Governance – managed senior boards and staff to engender “best behaviour” and be cognisant of risks surrounding the company
Case Study: Creation of Costing Model and Database
The company had recently merged with another international business and was undergoing a major change programme. This was branded a new way of doing work and had a team dedicated to introducing new processes and practice to the combined business. One aspect of this was to standardise the way in which costs could be gathered and shared across the company and the way in which project budgets were calculated and assessed.
The challenge was to provide a database of costs accumulated from across the business given diverse departments and a template for how projects were to be costed and evaluated.Read Full Case Study
Fund raising and listing on AIM
Finance and management information
Strategy Formulation and Commercial Engagement